Argan oil is known to provide many health benefits, from relieving skin inflammation and fighting heart disease to improving digestion and reducing the visible signs of aging.
In Morocco, argan oil is widely used in the culinary world. Because of its nutty flavor, argan oil is ideal for making salads, pasta dishes, and biscuits and pastries. Traditionally, argan oil also is used for medicinal purposes, mainly in creating salves as well as cosmetic purposes, as topical treatment for skin conditions.
What is Argan Oil?
Argan oil comes from the kernels of the argan fruit which grows from the Arganis spinosa tree, a species of tree native to Morocco. Also referred to as the golden elixir, argan oil is rich in Vitamin E, fatty acids, and antioxidants.
Argan oil comes in two forms. Edible argan oil comes from roasted argan kernels and can be consumed. Meanwhile, cosmetic argan oil which comes from unroasted argan oil, can be topically applied on the skin or hair.
Nowadays, argan oil is a popular ingredient in shampoos, conditioners, soaps, and other beauty products. Some of the key nutrients that can be found in argan oil are the following:
- Vitamin E or Tocopherol: Fat-soluble vitamin that is present in oils. Argan oil is said to contain 300% more Vitamin E compared to olive oil.
- Oleic Acid: Fatty acid that is used as an emulsifier in many beauty products. It boosts hair growth and prevents dry scalp and dandruff. Oleic acid also controls water loss, keeping the hair softer and more pliable.
- Linoleic Acid: Fatty acid that helps strengthen hair follicles to prevent dryness and hair loss. It also aids in accelerating hair growth.
- Ferulic Acid and Carotenoids: Antioxidants that protect hair from free radical damage, preventing hair loss, damage, and premature greying.
- Plant Sterols: Helps maintain health hair by retaining moisture and protecting collagen.
What are the Uses of Argan Oil for Hair and Scalp?
Argan oil is commonly used as a hair treatment because of the large amount of nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants in its composition, enabling it to provide positive effects on both the hair and scalp.
Argan Oil in Shampoos and Conditioners
Argan oil is a key ingredient that people should look for in shampoos and conditioners, especially people who have colored or chemically treated hair. Not only does argan oil keep the hair soft and shiny, but it also strengthens hair to prevent hair fall, breakage or brittleness. Argan oil shampoos and conditioners also help prevent dandruff and dry, itchy scalp.
Argan Oil as a Hair Serum
Using leave-in conditioners with argan oil on damp hair helps enhance and prolong the beneficial effects of argan oil shampoos and conditioners. A few drops of argan oil aids in making the hair look sleek and shiny without leaving any greasy residue. Argan oil hair serums tame frizzy hair and make it more manageable. Regular application can also help stimulate hair growth and prevent split ends.
With the numerous benefits that argan oil provide for the hair and scalp, there’s no wonder why many people include it in their hair and scalp care routine.